Technological innovations and the global campaign for environmental awareness are two factors that have greatly changed the way commercial interior designers envision office space in countries like Singapore. Here are some ways in which technology and sustainability have shaped contemporary interior design:
How Interior Designers in Singapore Integrate Technology into Design
The way people work and collaborate have been greatly affected by the prevalence of wireless internet, cloud computing, and video conferencing, prompting interior designers to modify office layouts in Singapore to accommodate these technologies. Some of these modifications are:
- Installations. With the growing importance of electronic devices in the workplace, electric installations have become a primary consideration for interior designers in Singapore. The modern office must have enough electrical outlets for computers, printers, and the charging of multiple devices. In addition, the office layout must accommodate audio-visual equipments.
- Shrinking office spaces. Technological advancements have paved the way for online communication, thereby minimizing the space needed for corporate operations. As offices switched to “paperless transactions” by encouraging the use of mobile devices for work, more employees have become less tied to their desks. However, not all work can be completed online. As such, companies would often hire an interior designer to create shared “touchdown spots” for their offices in Singapore. These touchdown stations are smaller and more open work spaces which are enough for basic functions such as sending e-mails or filing documents. The idea is to allow employees to work away from their desks, but ensuring that they have sufficient working space and the needful when they have to be in the office.
- Virtual offices. Despite the rise of “virtual offices”, companies still cannot neglect their interiors. With video conferencing being a preferred mode of communication, interior designers in Singapore must ensure that conference rooms are aesthetically pleasing both in actuality and on camera, especially when the company’s operations involve constant online communication with foreign clients.
Sustainable Commercial Interior Design
With climate change becoming a worldwide concern, more companies are trying to make their operations more environment-friendly. Here are some design concerns that interior designers in Singapore must address:
- Water conservation. Not only will efficient water usage help the environment, it will also help in cutting down company expenses. Interior designers in Singapore accomplish this by making small changes to the interiors, such as by replacing washroom installations with water-efficient fixtures like high efficiency toilets and low-flow faucets.
- Energy-efficient lighting. Conserving energy plays a big part in sustainable commercial interior design. Fortunately, lighting technology innovations have made power-saving in companies easier. A commercial interior designer can create an energy-efficient lighting scheme for your office in Singapore by maximizing natural light and implementing task lighting.
Commercial interior design doesn’t exist in a vacuum; it must accommodate both technological and environmental changes. Because of this dynamic nature of commercial design, designing company interiors can be very challenging for business owners. As such, commercial interior designers are becoming more indispensable to businesses not only in Singapore but also abroad, especially when it comes to creating an environment and technology-friendly workplace.